Rain! So last night it poured SO hard that it woke everyone up in their trailers! Our tin can trailers echoed the sound so loud that scared me when I woke up. The rainy season was supposed to be over, but apparently it’s not. Then this morning at work we went out on the balcony and saw an orange sky with the clouds moving really fast. My boss said it looked like the Apocalypse was coming! Then as it started to clear, the left side of the sky was turning white, while the right side was still a dark orange. It started to rain after that, so we went back inside. Luckily where I work it’s not too muddy b/c we have sidewalks and lots of gravel. I went to another base today and it was extremely muddy and it got caked all over our boots. It’s weird to see beautiful marble floors covered with mud from all of us. It gets cleaned up every day, but it still surprises me to see such a mess in a palace!
Work is still going well. I’m getting around meeting new people and I’m getting a “bigger picture” all the time. It truly is amazing what the soldiers are accomplishing here. I only hope that we’re given the time to complete everything in a way that we can hands things over to the Iraqis efficiently.
Today I ran the 5k route with 2 guys from work and had a new best time of 24:13 so I was really excited! I got a little muddy, but it was fun just the same. And it’s always nice to get out of the office to enjoy the weather before it gets really hot!