Saturday, June 16, 2007

Fun!

Last night TSgt D (Tsgt W’s replacement, my enlisted counterpart) got NCO (non commissioned officer) of the month award! I was so excited for her. My commander nominated her for the award (technically she works for him, but yet in reality for me) and that was really nice. We had the AF 2 star General come in to present the award to her, and she got a nice prayer rug with her name sewn on it and a certificate. Go Air Force! The other branches of the military don’t really do that here – AF is so far ahead of the other branches that I’m happy to be in the AF more and more all the time!
Today was one of our “crusty” Sgt’s birthday. He didn’t want anyone to know about it, but we figured it out when he got a bday package from his mom, and we have his information in the computer system. So Amy and I went and decorated his office area with sleeping beauty, beauty and the beast, and Cinderella (Disney princesses) balloons and streamers. I had the streamers left over from my bday party, so I figured I’d share the wealth! He came in and everyone on the floor got rather quiet, just waiting to see what his response would be… As he got near his desk, he got a huge grin on his face! Then he turned around and yelled at the floor, “How on earth am I supposed to get any work done around here with all this crap on my desk!” We all cracked up laughing and I had a card that sings the theme song from Sleeping Beauty, and I said, “Oh we forgot a part.” And I opened the card and you could hear the music and then we all lost it laughing again! So then he went back to his desk, pulled out his knife, and popped one of the balloons! We had bet that he was going to pop all of them, but he left it at just one… So then Sam said, “uh oh, he’s having a domestic dispute with Cinderella!” So this morning started off great with lots of jokes!
Today ended well too b/c I got to go to the range and shoot my M-9. That was fun, but man was it hot out there! I think it was 115 in the shade. Luckily there was a lot of wind, so that kept it somewhat cooler, but having a hairdryer blowing at you can only help so much:)